Mono crystalline Solar panels
Solar panels come in three different types and this is characterized based on the purity of silica used, the three types are :
- Monocrystalline Panels
- Polycrystalline Panels
- Thin Film Panels
The alignment of the silicon molecules determines the efficiency ratio of the solar cell to convert solar energy into electricity. The efficiency rates of monocrystalline solar panels are typically in the range of 15-20%.
Monocrystalline Silicon Solar Cells
Monocrystalline solar cells are made out of cylindrical shaped silicon ingots.Each module is made from a single silicon crystal, and though more expensive, its more efficient than the other panels. They are recognizable by their color which is typically black or iridescent blue.
Benefits of Monocrystalline Solar Panel
Below are some of the reasons why these panels score over the others:
- Better efficiency
PV panels made from monocrystalline solar cells have a greater efficiency in converting higher amount of solar energy into electricity than any other type. These panels have been known to give efficiency as high as 22.5%.Since they are made out of the highest-grade silicon they give high efficiency rates.
Monocrystalline solar panels have been in existence for a long time, and have been tried and tested for their durability. The confidence level on these solar panels is high for long lasting use and most come with a 25 year warranty.
- Greater Heat Resistance
There is a reduction in output once the temperature from the sunlight reaches around hundred and fifteen degrees Fahrenheit. However the loss of efficiency is much lower in monocystalline panels than Panels made of other cell.
- More Electricity
Monocystalline solar panels produce more electricity per sqm of installed panels thereby yielding a better return on investment
- Environmental considerations
Monocrystalline panels use much lower amount of electricity from local power plants, thereby reducing the dependence on fossil fuels. The larger benefit for environment is a significant reduction in the use of limited fuel sources and greenhouse gases being pumped into the environment.
Some options of Monocrystalline Solar Panels
Some of the top companies which produce these panels are :
1. Suntech Power claims to be the world’s largest producer of crystalline solar panels.
2. SunPower produces the most efficient monocrystalline solar panels available. They also offer panels and inverters which are fully black.
3. Transform Solar has successfully produced a thin monocrystalline panel which is heat resistant, and not only that but it has been known to perform reliably even under shade. It also uses just a fraction of the silicon to produce the same high levels of efficiency.
4. JA Solar is the largest producer of monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar cells, which are used by other solar companies also.
Where do they score less over other panel types?
- These panels prove to be more expensive though they are more efficient
- Low Dust resistant – If the panel is exposed to dirt or snow, there are chances that the entire circuit can stop working.
- Monocrystalline solar panels are known to perform worse in warm weather.