AGL Energy Review
AGL started off way back in 1837 as ‘The Australian Gas Light ‘ Company and was the pioneer
company to bring gas lights into Australia. Since then it has continuously kept inventing and
growing and today is Australia’s leading private company for renewable energy.
From then to now, AGL has continuously worked towards providing renewable and sustainable
energy in a safe manner and is now focusing on environmental aspects by helping their
customer lower their energy requirements and using renewable energy.
AGL has a presence in both Wind as well as Solar Energy.
AGL Energy Offerings
AGL offers an integrated offering to its customers for Renewable energy. It has products and
services to develop renewable energy. It has two arms –
1. Retail energy business which sells energy related products and services
2. Merchant Energy business which maintains power generation assets and develops
strategy for renewable energy
Its key products are in offering Natural Gas and electricity
And it provides Services in gas and Electricity distribution and Asset management.
Out of all the energy that AGL generates and distributes, one third of the energy comes from
renewable energy sources namely –
This article focuses on the Solar offerings by AGL.
AGL Solar Offerings
AGL currently offers Solar Offerings in the following states across Australia:
ÿ New South Wales
ÿ South Australia
The products and Services offered are as below:
1. Solar Power
2. Solar Hot Water
3. Solar Photovoltaic Panels and Inverters in Small , Medium and Large ranges.
Why Solar Power?
Instead of using the conventional energy sources to generate electricity, Solar power is becoming a
more popular way which works on generating electricity from the Sun’s energy. A solar panel converts
the sun’s radiations into electricity which can then be used to power homes.
Advantages of using Solar panels for a residential home are many –
1) Electrical appliances running in the house, draw less from electricity and use the solar energy
2) Any excess solar energy generated during the day can be fed back into the electrical grid and
you get credit for it
3) Using electricity for generating hot water is one of the primary consumers of big chunks of
electricity. Using a Solar water heater, water gets heated using the sun’s radiation, thus saving
on the electricity bill
4) There are government schemes which are targeted towards increasing the use of renewable
sources of energy one of which is Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme (STCs). Through this
house owners become eligible for rebates when they opt to go in for renewable energy sources.
5) There are also Feed in Tariff schemes which will result in a pay back for the solar energy
generated back into the electricity grid.
Advantages of going ahead with AGL being your biller
1) AGL has been operating in this field for more than 170 years.
2) It is one of the most renowned name in Australia for renewable energy.
3) They have an expert team which will help design the best solution.
I would not be using them for a solar install however, large companies like this will cash in on the ‘solar’ and mass install jobs using subcontractors… scary stuff!